Archives for : Painting

The Stormraven – Part 3

Continued from Stormraven – Part 2.

To finish off the final detail work I needed to “soot” up my engines – easy, Games Workshop’s Stormraven guide tells you to apply 3 coats of Badab Black (one after the other when dry) and stipple in some Chaos Black.

Next, it was time for assembly.

As I’m using the kit from Chapterhouse Studios (CS), I had to use their guide to build the modified hull. The initial assembly is identical, but when you would fit the rear plate and hatch, you switch to the instructions from CS.

Storm Raven - (Early construction - Extended hull - side) Storm Raven - (Early construction - Extended hull - underside)

As you can see from the underside shot (I’ve not added Chapterhouse’s baseplate yet) the hull extension adds a good length to the aircraft. After this slight detour, it’s back to the main instructions to add the wings, landing gear and tail sections. To fit the engines you need to cut off the plastic extensions – you can do this with a pair of clippers, but a model saw is better. After those went on, I put the cockpit together – the complete details and pilot now come into their own.

Storm Raven - (Cockpit)

The hatch you can see in the above picture is also from the Chapterhouse kit, and allows you to hide the hole for the gunner’s pod.

 

Storm Raven - Wings added

To finish this off, we need to add the cockpit canopy, the weapons pod and icons.

My end result looked like this:

Storm Raven - (Final model - missing transfers)

Dreadfleet – Painting water

In painting our Dreadfleet models, I was forced to learn how to paint water for the bases. There’s no secret to it, Games Workshop have published a pretty good step-by-step guide in October’s White Dwarf (WD382), which I recommend you pick up if you haven’t already as it is packed full of painting guides for the ships in Dreadfleet.

Anyway, aside from a different base colour, I used the same technique described in WD382.

I started with a chaos black undercoat and applied a Necron Abyss base coat.

Necron Abyss base coat

When that dried, I dry brushed Enchanted Blue onto the bases.

Enchanted Blue drybrush

Next, I dry brushed layer of Ice Blue on the wave crests.

Ice Blue drybrush

Then, following the GW guide, I mixed up a 1:1 ratio of Thrakka Green and Badab Black and applied a thick coat of it across the base.

Badab Black:Green Wash 1:1 mix ratio

When that dried, I finished the bases off with a dry brush of Skull White, again focusing on the ship’s wake and the wave crests.

Skull White drybrush

I’m sure you’ll agree, the effect looks great….

Black Kraken (flash, side & above)

This technique should work for all bar the Skaven ship’s base (that one has organs and detritus to paint on the base that needs a more rotten look, so I’ll do a separate post on that one later).

Dreadfleet Gallery

The Stormraven – Part 2

Continued on from Stormraven – Part 1.

After the base coat, it was time to use the airbrush to re-coat the exterior surfaces with Blood Red, and time to start work on the interior detailing such as the seating and the screens.

Storm Raven - internal detailing of screens/seating  Storm Raven - internal detailing of screens/seating (alt side) Storm Raven - overview of internal detailing

Once again, GW’s Guide provided some excellent tips, especially on gem effects for screens – something I replicated again in the cockpit.

 

Storm Raven - Cockpit

Continued in The Stormraven – part 3

The Stormraven – Part 1

So I finally caved and bought one of these flying monstrosities….

Games Worlshop Stormraven

Quite often the better half and I joke about how it looks like a Thunderhawk Gunship was towed and put through a cube crusher before a Techpriest took pity on it.  This really put me off until I found out about the conversion kit done by Chapterhouse Studios, whilst I don’t endorse how much Chapterhouse infringes on GW’s rights or feel the need to tell you buy their products, I am impressed by their conversion kit which lengthens out the hull of the Stormraven to make it look like it can carry what the fluff tells you it can.

Anyway, I digress – I decided to follow as much of GW’s paint guide as possible.

So I started with an undercoat of skull white on the exterior surfaces and skull black on the metallics and interiors. After that dried, I pulled out the handy airbrush and applies a base coat of Mechrite Red to all of the exterior surfaces and the crew. Interior surfaces, engines and landing gear all got a 50:50 mix of Chaos Black and Boltgun Silver applied.

Base Coat

Storm Raven - following basecoating (show interior)

Continued in The Storm Raven – Part 2